Tuesday, July 7, 2009

DAY 188 - Moon Walkin'



Have I mentioned Tuesdays are a bit blah to me. They lack the utter depression of a Monday, but come too early for midweek celebration. Therefore it is Tuesday, I was not utterly depressed nor celebratory...does celebratory mean: to celebrate, or does it mean: obstaining from sexual relations? Either way, there was no celebration nor sexual relations, if you must know... geez you blog people are so nosey!

I took a stroll over to Clete and Greg's to get their mail for them since they are vacationing in Scandanavia. Then I meandered slowly home taking in the sights of this beautiful summers eve. I love living in the Avenues and tried to capture some of the mysterious charm of the neighborhood on this moon lit night. The picture isn't blurry, the building was... I promise... mysterious...oooooo



Today was also an important day in pop culture history. It was Michael Jackson's memorial service. I was an average fan of Michael, I have tried to do the zombie thriller dance and moon walk at social events. I have some of his albums, and I enjoy them. But I was not a super fan by any means. But whenever some big event like this occurs I get sucked into the media frenzy, not going to lie. I'm one of those people that are bringing up the ratings so that the news stations are focusing on this event rather than the rioting in Iran or the collapsing government in Honduras. Those things happen all the time, but the King of Pop only dies once. I spent 4 hours of my work day streaming coverage on CNN, NBC, and CBS. I needed the view of the funeral procession from all angles. I had to watch the constant replays of Mariah Carey's vocal debacle, but touching performance, Brooke Shields heartfelt goodbye, and Jennifer Hudsons amazing rendition of "Will You Be There." I can't help myself, I even got teary eyed at the creepy family tribute when little Paris proclaimed her love for her dad.

We all know Michael Jackson was kind of weird, but he had an abnormal childhood and probably not very good role models. If we trust in the judicial system he was proven innocent to all of the accusations, and I wasn't there and don't have all the information about that so I can't make a judgement. I just choose to remember him as he was in the early days, when he was thanking the girls in the balcony and when my sister Kelli and her best friend Cheri would call each other on the phone every time they showed him sitting in the audience on the grammy awards one year. He really was unique and will live on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment