Saturday, April 11, 2009

DAY 101 - We're cousins, not so identical cousins...


My dad's family has a reunion every year.  Every other year it's a big reunion with all the cousins, 2nd cousins, 3rd cousins, etc..  On the off year it's a more intimate affair.  Usually held at a local buffet.  They call it the "cousins" reunion, and is only for the 1st cousins.  This is all fine and good, I enjoy getting together with everyone, however I am the youngest of the cousins by about 20 years, excluding my sisters who are out of state and not able to attend.  Most of my cousins have kids my age.  Now that I'm older it's not as awkward, and it's kind of fun to get to know them all as adults and not "little Kenny."  I was answering the hard hitting questions like  "what is Twitter, and Facebook?"  I was the voice of my generation, or technically  the generation after mine which I have adopted to be my own.  I'm going to just consider myself 26 since that's about where I seem to fit in.  

I find it amusing that whenever I go to these family functions, everyone talks to me more about my sisters than me.  Which is completely understandable, nobody ever sees them, and I am always around.  But my cousin Pat, who is a few years younger than my dad and lives out in Hooper or somewhere like that, asked if my sister was still in Chicago. I told her yes.  She then told me of her trip to the big windy city a few years ago.  She said they went the Sears Tower and after getting off the elevator in the lobby they ran into a group that was dressed fancier than she had ever seen.  The women were in high heels and fancy dress, and the men in tuxedos, she was completely enamered by such a sight, she couldn't take her eyes off of them.  But her cousin who lives outside of the city a little ways nudged her and said, "stop starring, that's the mob, you're gonna get us killed."  So I wanted to pass along this advice, apparently the Chicago mob is still alive and well, and hanging out in the lobby of the Sears Tower... you've been warned.

Anyhow, it was good to get together with the McEntire clan over some heat lamp warmed food lovingly protected by a sneeze guard.  I seem to spend a lot of time at the buffet's, not necessarily by choice.  I got to class myself up a bit.  I've got one hand in white trash and the other hand is makin' a peace sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment