Wednesday, April 29, 2009

DAY 119 - The Heat Is On in Salt Lake

My good buddy Jeff is in Miss Saigon at PMT.  I have been wanting to get tickets for the show to see him, but $50 is just a little bit to rich for my blood right now.  I was a little disappointed I was going to miss it.  But I received a pleasant surprise today when Jeff called me and said he had a comp ticket to the dress rehearsal!  I was able to go, even though I had to sit by myself, in between two nun like ladies and a group of pretentious Salt Lake Acting Company people.  It was an odd juxtaposition.  I believe the nuns were a little shocked at first, but ended up enjoying the show.  

It was funny to watch Jeff stumble around drunk in a Vietnamese brothel then finding himself wrapped up with a little prostitute... I was so proud of him for being edgy.  A far cry from the BYU Young Ambassador Spectacular.

The show was really good, in my humble opinion.  I saw "Miss Saigon" in New York the week before it closed.  I remember not being overly impressed, but that may have been because it was the day we flew in and I was extremely tired, and we were about half way up the balcony and I felt as if I was observing "Miss Saigon" form the suburbs of Hanoi.  But this time I was near the front, I was able to follow the story better and see facial expressions.  Many people try to pick apart shows for the flaws, but in my opinion, if it successfully conveys the emotion of the story it is a success.  Nothing really took away from that for me.  There may have been some awkward moments, and since it was a rehearsal, there were still a few minor technical glitches with mic's and that sort of thing.   But all in all I thought it was a great show.  If I had paid the $50 I don't think I would have been disappointed... I mean $50 is $50 and I think that's always too much for regional theater, but I guess if that's what we have to pay to support the arts I'm all about it.  When, of course, I actually have the $50 to support the arts... for now, thanks for the comp ticket!

No comments:

Post a Comment