Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day 38 - You say Samoan, I say Samoa!

Saturday morning...ahhhh!! Would have loved to have slept in, but my food dream woke me up. Latoya sent me an evil cookbook with a bunch of "secret" recipes. One of the recipes was for the Samoa Girl Scout Cookies. Before I had gone to bed last night I was looking over the recipe, and it definitely gave me some sweet dreams. Visions of gooey coconut and chocolate drizzle danced in my head. So when I woke up at 7:30 am, I opened up my computer and figured out what I would need from the store. I then walked to Smith's to get the necessary ingredients. I figured if I walked to the store it would burn a few hundred of the THOUSANDS of calories I would soon ingest. The cookie is basically made with sugar done three ways, standard white sugar, Karo syrup, and sweetened condensed milk, boil it together and add some coconut, stir it all up, and there ya have it. Then melt some chocolate chips and drizzle over the top. There was no mention of the cookie center that the coconut concoction usually surrounds, so I experimented and made some with a vanilla wafer on the bottom. I was fine either way, I'm not picky, as long as there is plenty of caramelized goodness anything tastes good. They tasted similar to a Samoa, but those girls scouts have their secrets. Make sure to note they are called "SAMOA" not to be confused with "SAMOAN." When I worked at Franklin Covey I overheard a lady at the cubicle across from me telling a friend she had eaten and entire box of Samoans the night before. That just didn't sound right, and I'm sure that's illegal, or at least not ethical.

After stopping by the boys house to drop off the reminder of my knock of Samoa's, I met Alisa at the Gateway and saw "He's Just Not That Into You." It was pretty funny, somewhat insightful, and entertaining. I then ran to Ogden to meet Alane for dinner and to see Peter Pan at Weber. I felt like I was running about 20 minutes behind all day. I was late meeting Alisa for the movie because there was traffic and a defective stop light on South Temple, then the movie got out later than I had anticipated and I didn't leave Salt Lake until almost 6:00 which was when I was suppose to be in O-town. Alane and I ate at Lee's Mongolian Barbecue in Ogden and since I was late getting there, we were running late from dinner getting to the show. But we made it just in time for the curtain to rise.


The show was pretty good... Not my favorite show, but it was well done. Nick did a good job, he can still bounce around the stage just like he did when he was in high school, wish I had that kind of energy, I can only do 3 back handsprings in a row these days...ah to be young again ;).

Take note of the return of my double chin in this picture. I could blame it on the copious amounts of coconut delight I had consumed earlier in the day. But I have figured it was bound to happen eventually, I have not been eating well the last few months. This photo has inspired me to really start watching what I eat. Need to lose 30 lbs by June...bikini season!

No comments:

Post a Comment