Sunday, February 15, 2009

DAY 46 - Frosting, Friends, and FUN!


You didn't think I'd go a whole weekend and not bake something did ya? Today I made the traditional Valentines Day sugar cookies...a day late. When we were kids my mom would make giant heart sugar cookies, then write each or our names on them. She would also do it for everyone of the families in our neighborhood. I would pig down on all the little frosted heart cookies, but the big one with my name on it was to be savored. I would break tiny pieces off of it and try to make it last as long as I could. Now my mom has resorted to throwing some icing on and a little bit of sugar on and calling it good. The cookies are still great, but I have decided to take up the tradition. So Saturday I made the dough then rolled them out, baked them and frosted them today. It takes a little bit of trial and error to write with frosting, there were some casualties that I had to eat to hide any evidence of imperfection. I was so proud of them when they were done. They looked almost as good as my mom's did from my childhood. I had gone to my parents house to make them, because of my difficult oven situation, and also lack of counter space. But it created a challenge, I had to transport my baked morsels of love back to my place. I had put them on two cookie sheets and stacked them nicely. Everything went well, I got back to Salt Lake with no incident, then as I was getting them out of the car, the top cookie sheet slipped and smooshed Greg's cookie on the bottom cookie sheet. So sorry Greg, it's the thought that counts...right?

Tonight was also the monthly Alphagrahics crew get together. It was my turn to host. I made Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo and of course served the festive Valentines Day cookies. It was a good time, we just ate, chatted and played Hit or Miss. Lots 'o laughs, and an exciting announcement from Madison!

Tomorrow's President's Day...oh yes, you may be thinking, yeah! a day off work...but oh no. I will be working, or at least sitting at my desk, all day long. But it's all good, Memorial Day is a short 3 and a half months away...blah!

No comments:

Post a Comment