Friday, March 6, 2009

DAY 65 - Red Rock's and Outcropped Stones


After a trying emotional and stressful week, I made a run for it! Tried to leave all of my woes in the dust as Brandy and I headed to beautiful St. George, Utah. I have been debating whether or not to take the trip for weeks, but early in the week with all my car issues I decided to just do it. I needed to get away. Brandy has a friend who teaches at Dixie, so we were able to stay at his place which makes it nice to not have to worry about getting a hotel somewhere. You never know what might happen at the Motel 6.

We decided this would be a pretty laid back trip, so we decided not to leave until noon. I got up WALKED to the store, made some Snickerdoodle cookies for the trip and packed up my stuff. Brandy came to pick me up around noon, then I went to her house while she got ready. The entire time I was trying to get in the mood for a fun exciting trip, but the car issues and impending expense hung over me like the dark gray clouds that filled the Salt Lake Valley today. As I was sitting on the couch waiting for Brandy to get ready, reading articles in the New Yorker (I just added that cause it makes me sound intellectual and cultured), my phone rang. It was a Centerville number so I assumed it was news about my car. I nervously pressed the answer button on my phone bracing myself for the absolute worse possible news...my car was never going to run again, the transmission is dead, it needs new axles, new pistons, new bearings, new radiator, new jockey box button..you name it I was expecting it. But that is not what I heard at all, I almost thought the mechanic was speaking a different language when he said to me "your car is running fine." "Come again, what's that you say? Speak any English?" I couldn't believe it. All they did was give the transmission a good flush and added some transmission fluid. He had driven it up and down the freeway and said it was running fine. This changed everything. Instead of a $2000 to $5000 repair I ended up paying $300!!! And $100 of that was to tow it from the inept Ken Garff Honda Downtown, who didn't even bother checking the Transmission fluid! The gray skies are beginning to clear and the sunny Red Rock's of St. George are calling me!

With the burden of my car turmoil lifted, I was able to get excited for the road trip. We left about 1:00. Things were going swimmingly. Brandy had all her music , which is completely foreign to me, not much I can sing along to. But it expands my horizons and I'm finally learning about music from the 90's and 2000's that I've completely missed. Then we hit snow! Yes, snow! It snowed for a large section of the trip, but after Cedar City, the skies cleared and St. George welcomed us with blue skies. Tonight we didn't do a whole lot after we arrived in town. We got settled in, then headed for some dinner. After that we tried to get on the Internet at Barnes & Nobel, but it was expensive. So we just grabbed a few magazines and hung out for a while. Brandy is reading "Modern Dog", Must be hilarious!

After we got back to the apartment we put in High School Musical. Brandy and I have had this goal since September that we were going to see all 3 High School Musicals. Neither of us had ever seen any of them. We watched the first one back in September, but it had been a while, so we deiced to start over from the top. We managed to push Randy, Brandy's friend we were staying with, out of his own living room by playing the utterly ridiculous HSM. But it was worth it...you just gotta love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment