Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 15 - Sundance Fever


Tonight was the beginning of Sundance mania. I've never really been big into the whole Sundance thing, I have never even been until last year and only saw one movie. This year I have tickets for four, and saw two last night, so six all together. This is nothing compared to the 30 that Brandy plans to attend, in order to beat her record of 29 last year.

Last night was the screening for volunteers. Brandy's friends are coming in from out of town to volunteer, but don't get in until Friday. She had their volunteer passes, so I posed as D.J. and she was Kimberly. Greg is a legitmate volunteer so we met him up there. We saw "Prom Night in Mississippi" a documentary about a small town in Mississippi that still had a segragated prom. Morgan Freeman lives in the area and offered to pay for the prom if the school had an integrated prom. I really liked this movie, it is amazing that kind of mentality is still going on over 50 years after the civil rights movement. I hope it reminds people just because we have elected a black president racism is still not dead here. People are still discriminated against, and not just because of their race. We are along way from equality in this country.

The other movie was Lyme Life (I think, something with Lyme in it) It started out as a quirky coming of age movie, but went disturbingly wrong. It was suppose to be a comedy set in Long Island with the back drop of a man living with Lyme disease (hilarious!). It had some Kulkan kids in it, they were great, and Alec Baldwin. But it was disturbing to me. There were a few scenes where the boy is being beat up, like punched really hard over and over, and the audience was laughing like crazy...I didn't get it, it was disturbing.

Anyway, that was my first night at Sundace, there are going to be a few more Sundance nights in the next 10 days, maybe I'll even get a picture with a celebrity! I hear Bowser from Sha Na Na might be in town woo hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment