Saturday, May 2, 2009

DAY 122 - Location, Location, Location


Today was the Utah Herritage Association's historic homes tour.  I was really excited about it, it was in the Yale/Harvard area of Salt lake, about 1500 East and like 9th south.  It consisted of about 10 homes that had been built in the 20's.  I've always loved this area and wondered what it would be like to go inside some of these homes.  Today was my chance!  They were all pretty nice, my favorites were the two bungalow style homes on Michigan Ave, they had been restored and updated, but they kept the integrity of the style.  I loved them, I would have lived in either.  All of the homes were pretty nice, except for 2.  One was just kind of like a normal home, nothing too impressive, decorated pretty standard.  And one was really charming from the outside, looked like it could have been in the Hollywood hills, wasn't big, but just nice looking.  But inside it was sad!  It hardly had any furniture and they said the renovation had been done in the 80's and it looked like it.  It was really dated and basically just empty.  I was concerned for them.  One of the portraits hanging on the wall in the basement was of a group of old time prisoners, the volunteer was saying that all the photos on the wall were of relatives.  So obviously they come from a long line of fugitives, I'm sure they probably feel right at home in a hollow dimly light corridor of a house.

None of the homes were huge, about 2000 - 3000 sq feet.  Nice sized, but just average, however its all about location.  There was an original ad for one of the homes from 1927, it was for sale for $13,000.  Then somebody came through the tour and said their family had bought it in 1931 during the depression for $5000.  They didn't say how much the home was worth now, but the one across the street is 200 square feet smaller and is on the market for $993,000.  So I think the moral of the story here is if I buy a home now while prices are lower, and hold onto it for 70 years, I have the potential of making quite a bit of money!  I look forward to finally getting to travel and see the world with my new found wealth when I'm 102!

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous. I've always wanted to see inside those homes too. I used to jog in that area (back when I used to jog) when I lived in Sugarhouse. Cool! Glad you got to have the experience.

    ReplyDelete