Sunday, May 10, 2009

DAY 130 - Nuthin' Says I Love You Like 300g of Fat!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!  Today we went to dinner at the Ruby River and I made my traditional mother's day cake...  I decided to try a new cake recipe, I wasn't too happy with the results, it was really, really crumbly, but the frosting was the whole reason I chose the recipe.  1.5lbs of Lindt Chocolate then make a homemade caramel sauce and heavy cream, then pour over the chocolate to melt it.  Let it set up and then whip it up, whip it good...mmmmmm rich chocolatey goodness!  The cake was so crumbly that I poked holes in it and poured sweetened condensed milk over the top to moisten it up.  It ended up tasting really, really good!



I tried to be fancy with my decorating, I still need to work on my piping techinque.  I was watching cake decorating shows on You Tube at work, but got a little embarrassed, so I had to switch over to American Idol clips, because thats so much more butch.

All and all it was a good mother's day.  I hope my mom enjoyed it.  Kind of seems a little uneventful with just the three of us.  I miss my sisters being around for special days, most of the time I don't even notice they're gone... JUST KIDDING!!  

My mom is a great woman, she has been through so much, 3 brain surgeries, cancer survivor, hip replacements.  She may have a screw loose in her head, blind in one eye and can't see out of the other (those are her jokes).  But I'm so thankful to still have her with me, I don't know what I'd do with out her.  I remember the first week of Kindergarten, I would grab a hold of her and not let go when she'd drop me off for school.  Mrs. Terry was pulling me with one arm as I was grabbing a hold of my mom with the other.  It was a literal Tug-A-Kenny-War.  In many ways I feel the same way, still trying to grab a hold of my mom with one arm, while the real world is pulling me with other.  

Love you mom!


2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh...that's so sweet! Your sentiments and the cake!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story of tug-a-Kenny.

    And this cake should be with us on the Montana trip... just sayin.

    ReplyDelete