Sunday, May 24, 2009

DAY 144 - Declaration Day (That's how they say it in these parts)





Today was the annual trek to the dead folk.  Honoring our ancestors and soldiers with some Mum's in colorful foil and plastic wrap, a fitting tribute to a life well lived....  I'd like to give a special thanks to my Great Grandpa May for holding the camera in this picture.

I actually kind of enjoy this day, kind of a strange holiday, but it does give you some reason to think about those who came before you.  My favorite place to go is the Harper 
Ward Cemetery where my mom's side of the family is buried.  There is a big May family plot with my Great Great Grandpa and Grandma, Great Grandpa and Grandma, Grandpa and uncle are buried.  My Great Great Grandpa May was one of the first settlers in the area, and did the whole polygamy thing.  He and Lorenzo Snow were good friend and he would hide out in Lorenzo's basement in all these secret rooms.
 Finally he moved to Canada with one wife and left the other wife behind to t
ake care of things.  He g
ot sick in Canada and had his son (my
 great grandpa) go to Canada to pick him up to bring him home where his 1st wife Martha took care of him til he died.  My great great grandma Martha's dad was one of Joseph Smith's bodyguards in Nauvoo, IL. then when they were told to go west, Brigham Young had him and a few other guys go out ahea
d of everyone and build bridges and plant crops.  Kinda cool.  I'm completely Utahn through and through.

As we headed back from Honeyville we stopped at the Willard Cemetery where my dad's grandparents are buried.  We don't usually go there, but I was feeling all genealogical and wanted to get a picture of their headstone.  My Great Grandpa Rock fought in the Civil War for Ohio, 
wierd!  He's just my great grandpa.  He was in his 50's when my grandma McEntire was born.  My 
great grandma Rock's dad was part of the party that went to Martins Cove in Wyoming to save the stranded Handcart company that were coming to Utah.

Just a little history lesson about my fam.  So when ever anyone makes fun of me for having an accent they can't blame me I come from a long line of Utahns that have been dropping T's and believe the words barn and corn rhyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment